Psalm 91:11–12 ESV
He will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.
On their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone.
Finding Protection in God’s Word in Psalm 91:11-12
- Consider this: God commands His angels to guard you in all your ways. That’s amazing! What do you think about this? In what ways have you seen (or experienced) angels guarding you or your family?
- When we look to God as the source of our protection and provision, the angels are constantly caring for us. Psalm 103:20–21 (ESV) says, “Bless the Lord, O you his angels, you mighty ones who do his word, obeying the voice of his word! Bless the Lord, all his hosts, his ministers, who do his will!” The angels do God’s will, so when we speak out the truth of God’s Word, God sends His angels to fulfill it.
- The Old Testament refers to God as the Lord of Hosts or Lord of Angel Armies 232 times. Hosts refers to many people or angels. This must be a very important part of who He is to use this name so many times. Psalm 46:7 (NLT) says, “The Lord of Heaven’s Armies is here among us.” Wow! The One who is over all of heaven’s armies is with us. Since He is with us, He knows exactly what we need and can send His angels to meet those needs. What does that mean to you today?
- Guard in Hebrew also means to hedge about (as with thorns), to protect, preserve and save. Ways also means a course of life or mode of action. When we find our refuge in Yahweh, when we are sheltered in place in Him, then He commands His angels to protect, guard, preserve and save us. He guards our entire lives. How does that encourage you?
- Matthew 18:18 (ESV) says, “Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” Daily I bind the evil one and loose the angels of God and the Holy Spirit to be around me, my family, our homes, and so on. I also declare truth from the Word, for example, “God’s Word says He will command His angels. Lord, I believe You will command your angels to fulfill Your Word in my life and my family today.” Faith releases this promise to work on our behalf.
- Verse 12 says the angels will hold us up so that we don’t even strike our feet against a stone. If they will protect us in that small way, I believe they will also protect us in much greater ways. How do you need God and His angels to protect you?
- Consider these other verses about angels, asking God to show you what He wants you to know from each one:
- Matthew 26:53 (NLT): “Don’t you realize that I could ask my Father for thousands of angels to protect us, and he would send them instantly?”
- Hebrews 1:14 (AMPC): “Are not the angels all ministering spirits (servants) sent out in the service [of God for the assistance] of those who are to inherit salvation?”
- Have you ever wondered how God takes care of all His people at the same time? Psalm 91 says He uses angels to care for us. He has a heavenly host just waiting to do His bidding, which includes guarding and protecting us. God is big enough and strong enough to protect us Himself, but He also uses angels to do His work (see Psalm 103). I wonder how often God has protected me or you from danger that we weren’t even aware of?
- My friend Mayme moved into a rough neighborhood with gangs and drug dealers. The Lord assured her that He would protect her. One late night after she got off work, she walked around a nearby park. A police officer pulled up beside her saying they had gotten several reports of a man following her, wearing a white muscle shirt and carrying a large sword. Reports said he was seven to eight feet tall! Mayme hadn’t seen the guy, but realized he was her guardian angel protecting her from harm. Ask God to send His angel(s) to protect you and your family.
- How are you encouraged or challenged from this study today?
- What is God saying to you through these verses?
A Prayer for You
God of Angel Armies, thank You that You command Your angels to guard and protect me in all my ways. It is comforting to know they are around me, protecting me. Open my eyes to see the angels that look out for me. Would You send Your angels to protect my family? Show me anytime I need to specifically ask to receive Your protection and declare that Your angels are protecting me and my family. Thank You that You care enough about me to keep me from even hurting my foot on a stone.
An Affirmation to Make Based on Psalm 91:11-12
God orders His angels to protect me wherever I go. They hold me up with their hands, so I won’t even hurt my foot on a stone.
Pray Psalm 91.
Actions to Take
What might you need to do to apply this verse in your life? You could also write your own prayer, expressing what God is revealing to you today.
 I wrote a book on spiritual warfare, Battlefield Strategies for Every Believer: A Biblical Guide to Spiritual Warfare. Learn more at https://relationshipresources.org/shop/spiritual-warfare-book/. Also available on Kindle from Amazon.
Relationship Resources, Inc. will use the information you provide on this form to send you your free copy of Hidden from Harm and to provide occasional updates. We will send these by email. You can change your mind at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email you receive from us, or by contacting us at email@example.com. We will treat your information with respect. For more information about our privacy practices please visit our website. By clicking above, you agree that we may process your information in accordance with these terms. We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking above to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp’s privacy practices at https://mailchimp.com/legal/.
© 2021 Relationship Resources. Excerpted from Hidden from Harm: Powerful Promises found in Psalm 91.