Psalm 91:3 TLB
He rescues you from every trap and protects you from the fatal plague.
Finding Protection in God’s Word in Psalm 91:3
- Look at other translations of this verse:
- “He will rescue you from the trap of the hunter and from the plague of calamities” (CJB).
- “He will rescue you from the hunter’s trap and from the deadly pestilence” (TLV).
- This verse reveals two things that God does for us: First, He rescues us from the hunter’s trap.
- Hunter in Hebrew also means entangled, a snare, a snarer or fowler.
- I read a book recently where hunters set traps to snare unsuspecting animals, so they could kill and eat them and use their hides for the fur. When they set traps, they don’t have to be as vigilant as when they hunt the animals; the animals come to them because of a lure. The evil one sets traps for us to stop us from being and doing all God has for us. He knows our weaknesses and sets traps specific to each of us. For example, if you don’t have problems with addictions, Satan won’t try to trap you with them. But if you struggle with judging others, then he will set traps to try to make you judgmental. In what areas might you be more susceptible to the enemy’s traps? How have you seen him set traps for you?
- Paul warns us in 2 Corinthians 2:11 against being outwitted by the evil one. We need to be “familiar with his evil schemes” (NLT). What does this say to you? How could it help you to keep from being trapped if you are familiar with his schemes?
- Have you ever had a person try to trap you? It could be through words or trying to get you to do something wrong. Sometimes the evil one will use people to trap us.
- Rescue in Hebrew also means to snatch away, defend, deliver, preserve, recover and save. God doesn’t say he will stop Satan from setting the traps. He can rescue us once we are trapped, but I would prefer to be rescued before I ever get snared. How have you seen God rescue you? How might you need Him to rescue you now?
- What might you need to do to keep from being trapped?
- The second thing God does for us in this verse is that He protects us from fatal plagues or deadly diseases.
- Knowing God protects us from fatal plagues has been very encouraging during COVID-19, but is also reassuring during any plague or deadly disease. So many people are fearful right now. This is a verse that we can claim daily for ourselves and our families.
- How has COVID-19 or another disease impacted you or your family? Has it caused fear or anxiety?
- What does it mean to you that God rescues you from traps and deadly plagues? How does that encourage you?
- What might you need to do to experience these promises? (Hint: you might want to look back at Psalm 91:1–2.)
A Prayer for You
Lord God, thank You that You will rescue me from every trap the enemy lays for me, whether it is from the evil one or a person. Help me to become more aware of the evil one’s schemes against me and my family, so I can be prepared, and so they no longer affect me. Thank You that You protect me from deadly plagues. I confess that I haven’t trusted You in the past. Help me to trust You to do what You say You will do. Show me what I might need to do to experience these promises more fully.
An Affirmation to Make Based on Psalm 91:3
I trust God to rescue me from every trap and protect me from deadly diseases and plagues.
Pray Psalm 91.
Actions to Take
What might you need to do to apply this verse in your life? You could also write your own prayer, expressing what God is revealing to you today.
Relationship Resources, Inc. will use the information you provide on this form to send you your free copy of Hidden from Harm and to provide occasional updates. We will send these by email. You can change your mind at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email you receive from us, or by contacting us at email@example.com. We will treat your information with respect. For more information about our privacy practices please visit our website. By clicking above, you agree that we may process your information in accordance with these terms. We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking above to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp’s privacy practices at https://mailchimp.com/legal/.
© 2021 Relationship Resources. Excerpted from Hidden from Harm: Powerful Promises found in Psalm 91.