Psalm 91:4 TLV
He will cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge.
His faithfulness is body armor and shield.
Finding Protection in God’s Word in Psalm 91:4
- Here are other translations of Psalm 91:4:
- “He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection” (NLT).
- “He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler” (NKJV).
- COVID–19 and riots have brought great fear and anxiety to many people. How have they affected you and your family?
- The worldwide pandemic, as well as all the riots, is a new opportunity to trust God in greater ways. Speaking and applying the truths in Psalm 91 can increase your faith and help you to trust God more. How has this psalm helped you? If it hasn’t, ask God to show you why it hasn’t; then continue to study it, declaring and applying the truths in it.
- This verse shows three ways God protects us: with His feathers, His wings and His faithfulness. Ask God to open your mind and heart to understand what He wants to show you today.
- God will cover us with His feathers. The word for cover in Hebrew also means to protect and defend.
- “Bird feathers are an amazing example of God’s design. Feathers have a smooth part and a fluffy part. The smooth part of the feather has stiff barbs with tiny hooks that lock together like the prongs of a zipper. The fluffy part keeps a bird warm. Together both parts of the feather protect the bird from wind and rain.” Imagine how much stronger, warming and protective God’s feathers are! “Like a parent whose arms are a safe place to retreat from a scary storm or a hurt, God’s comforting presence provides safety and protection from life’s emotional storms.”
- Consider how God’s feathers might protect and provide for your needs. How do you need God’s feathers to meet your needs?
- My friend Karen in Israel daily looks for feathers as a reminder of God’s protection. Could that help remind you of God’s protection?
- Under His wings we will find refuge. We have a choice whether we will take refuge under God’s wings or if we will try to protect ourselves.
- What are some ways you have tried to protect yourself? How did it work? How might God have done a better job if you had let Him?
- What do the following verses about God’s wings say to you?
- Psalm 17:8 (NASB): “Hide me in the shadow of Your wings.”
- Psalm 36:7 (AMP): “How precious is Your steadfast love, O God! The children of men take refuge and put their trust under the shadow of Your wings.”
- Psalm 61:4 (ESV): “Let me dwell in your tent forever! Let me take refuge under the shelter of your wings!”
- Psalm 63:7 (NASB): “You have been my help, and in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy.”
- A few years ago, a bird made its nest under the eaves of my deck roof. When the eggs hatched, the mama bird sat in the nest with her wings covering the babies, protecting them. How does this picture encourage you that God covers you with His wings?
- God’s faithfulness is our armor and protection. The Bible has so much to say about God’s faithfulness.
- Faithfulness in Hebrew also means truth. According to Google Dictionary, faithful means loyal, constant, and steadfast; true to the facts or the original. Faithfulness in Scripture is a key characteristic of God’s nature; He is constant, steadfast and unchanging. We can depend on Him because of His faithfulness. All His promises are true; however, we need to do our part, since many of the promises are conditioned by what we do.
- Many people have had relationships where one person was not faithful to the other, whether spouses, parents and children and more. This can erode understanding of God’s faithfulness. Have you experienced this? If so, how has it affected how you see God?
- What do these verses say to you about God’s faithfulness?
- Deuteronomy 7:9 (NLT): “Understand, therefore, that the Lord your God is indeed God. He is the faithful God who keeps his covenant for a thousand generations and lavishes his unfailing love on those who love him and obey his commands.”
- Psalm 36:5 (ESV): “Your steadfast love, O Lord, extends to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds.”
- Psalm 119:90 (ESV): “Your faithfulness endures to all generations.”
- Lamentations 3:22–23 (CSB)” “Because of the Lord’s faithful love we do not perish, for his mercies never end. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness!”
2 Thessalonians 3:3 (NLT): “The Lord is faithful; he will strengthen you and guard you from the evil one
- Imagine a soldier wearing body armor and carrying a huge shield. A shield and body armor protect us from enemies, especially our spiritual enemy, Satan. How might God’s faithfulness be a shield and body armor for you?
- A month before I finished college, I was in a head-on collision, mangling my car and throwing it fifty yards back. People who saw my car said I should have died, but I walked away from the accident (with massive bruises and gashes on my chin.) God could have stopped the accident. But instead, I believe He put His feathers and wings around me, protecting me from major harm (or maybe it was His faithfulness shielding me). Maybe He allowed the accident so I could remind you and myself today of how we can trust Him to protect us.
- How have you seen God protect you, whether with His feathers, wings, a shield or body armor? If you haven’t, why do you think you haven’t? Ask God to show you how you can experience His protection and faithfulness in greater ways.
A Prayer for You
God, I trust You for Your protection. Thank You that You cover me with Your feathers and shelter me with Your wings. Help me to experience this in greater ways—to really feel Your wings and feathers around me. Your faithfulness to Your promises also protects me. Thank You that I can trust You fully because You are trustworthy. Remind me of Your trustworthiness and Your faithfulness to me in the past. Lord, thank You that You are faithful to Your Word and You never change. I can depend on You, no matter what comes my way.
An Affirmation to Make Based on Psalm 91:4
I’m so grateful that God covers me with His feathers and I can find shelter under His wings. His faithful promises are my armor and protection.
Pray Psalm 91.
Actions to Take
What might you need to do to apply this verse in your life? You could also write your own prayer, expressing what God is revealing to you today.
Relationship Resources, Inc. will use the information you provide on this form to send you your free copy of Hidden from Harm and to provide occasional updates. We will send these by email. You can change your mind at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email you receive from us, or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will treat your information with respect. For more information about our privacy practices please visit our website. By clicking above, you agree that we may process your information in accordance with these terms. We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking above to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp’s privacy practices at https://mailchimp.com/legal/.
© 2021 Relationship Resources. Excerpted from Hidden from Harm: Powerful Promises found in Psalm 91.